Banner

Banner

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Day One

Today was Day One.

Well, that's dramatic. Mostly, it was just Day One of my plan to actually document me working out, but it's hopefully also Day One of getting myself on a real, honest-to-god schedule that will get me to work out six days a week consistently.

Let's back up.

I'm 22-years-old, and I'm a martial artist and fitness enthusiast. I joined the site DailyBurn this past summer as part of a larger effort to train myself to start supplementing my karate training, especially when I'm at college and don't have the benefit of getting to be in the dojo every day. I forgot about it pretty quickly, until recently, and now I'm making a point of using it daily for these last few days of 2011, and for 2012. It's a pre-New Years resolution, of sorts. I'm writing this blog for anyone who's interested, I suppose, but mostly for myself -- to keep myself motivated, and keep track of my progress (or lack thereof).

My goals:
* Continue to build my arms.
 * Work on developing chest and back.
 * Shed some of the fat covering my six pack / make my six pack more prominent.
 * Go from my current weight of 171 (already up from 167) to around 180.
 * Take my body fat percentage from around 15% down to 10%. 

I'm trying the "Bigger, Better Arms" training program on DailyBurn -- it's a six-week, three-days-a-week (I'm doing Monday/Wednesday/Friday) program that focuses on building muscle for the biceps, triceps, shoulders and forearms. I'm rounding it out on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday with my own workout routines to build the chest, back, legs, and abs.
Today was my first workout using my Tue/Thu/Sat workouts, although I abbreviated it because I wasn't going to make it to the gym. So basically it was really just a light abs workout, with some pushups:

Pushups
Set 1: 20 reps
Set 2: 20 reps
Set 3: 20 reps

Crunches

Set 1: 20 reps
Set 2: 20 reps
Set 3: 20 reps

Russian Twists

Set 1: 15 reps
Set 2: 15 reps
Set 3: 20 reps

Planks
Set 1: 30 secs
Set 2: 30 secs

Noticing that my abs are stronger than my lower back, so I have to stop because of my back long before my abs really get sore. I'm definitely going to have to work on strengthening my back to start really working my abs. Tomorrow I start my "Bigger, Better Arms" program, which starts with essentially all bicep work tomorrow, then moves to triceps on Monday, and forearms and shoulders on Wednesday. So I'm guessing by tomorrow night, my arms will be pretty sore...

Here comes Day Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment